Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Yoga and its multiple benefits

I began utilizing yoga as a part of my weekly workout routine last year. At first I had tried a few classes at a gym of which I was a member. I read about the benefits in various magazines such as triathlete and runners world. I am a convert.

I also happened to be the type of athlete who doesn't stretch as much as he should. As I continue to age, I have realized that yoga has provided me with the supplemental stretching and flexibility training I fail to get on my own. Yoga, helps distance athletes in understanding and controlling their breathing patten, which in turn can put an athlete more in touch and in focus with their heart rate. Yoga builds a surprising amount of strength.

I have been utilizing two DVD's so I can have my yoga practice at home. There are a number of athlete specific yoga, DVD's sold. I like them, for the fact they are less intimidating than class, in that they will generally use terms that are more easily understood. They also tend to focus in on sport specific movements and muscle groups. I have used Flexibility Warrior from Spinnervals, and one from TT University I was excited to see, that Spinnervals is actually coming out with more DVD's this fall.

I incorporate this into my weekly workouts twice a week, in addition to my strength training. I generally find that getting this in first thing in the morning aides my focus, concentration, and helps me recovery from the workout the day prior, and prep my body for that days task. I have found myself to be injury free, and generally recover quicker than I had in the past from such workouts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just as long as it's not the blond chick...