Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Etique?

I have been around tracks for the better part of 20 years. There are some "rules" of the way things should operate to all those there. First simple rule that is forgotten is joggers should stay to the outside. Working on sticks or blocks choose an outside lane. Those in their intervals have the right of way over those warming up.
So I am running at a local track doing my intervals. Toward the end, a group (local AAU team) shows and begins to warm up. Their two coaches in the background. Approximately 35 young men and women (7-16 years old) begin overtaking the 6 lane track. I was two intervals to completion, and they just beginning their warm up. I continued my set, and was nearly accosted, by the youth, who yelled that I should be in lane 6, when they were warming up (in the opposite direction). It seems their coach believed they needed 5 lanes to warm up, jogging for 800m?
I continued, and was forced to move in and out of the group, not one saying sorry, or excuse me. Then they began stretching drills, and spread out over the entire 6 running lanes, while other locals were attempting to get in their daily workout. I am sorry to sound gruff. I do not blame the kids, but the coaches, come on. This is a summer AAU team, and the foremost on your mind should be to teach sportsmanship and fair play. It is sad and a shame that this is what is often being taught. So we finished, and I removed my athletes.

1 comment:

TriExpert said...

I couldn't agree more. How does the saying go? Something like: "Nowadays, nothing's less common than common courtesy."

And, as you say, a great opportunity for a "teaching moment" wasted...