Friday, March 6, 2009

Building; with a purpose


At the start of any client relationship I also do a goal setting session. We talk about what they want to gain from the session, and I figure out if I can help them. With the Rutgers Tri Team, we did the same thing. The difference is that I read all of the on my own, time, as there are over 20 members on the team.
Everyone comes to triathlon for a different reason. Some as just a means of staying in shape. Some, because they have a friend or family member they wanted to show something. Some came to this class because the class they really wanted was sold out, and at the time we still had room.
Regardless of what that outward explanation is, each person come with the goal, to do and see through something they think is somewhat unattainable. Most of their friends and family thought they were 'crazy' upon registration. After, our first session or two, I'm sure some team members were in agreement, with those family members.
On Wednesday we had our first real testing session in the water. It was for me an absolutely incredible transformation. People who 4 weeks earlier had limited comfort in the water, swimming further, faster, and stronger, than before. Groups standing on the deck cheering and helping each other. When I included the word team in this posting, I really meant it.
Though, this is only viewed as a Recreation Class, the dedication, and determination of the participants, coupled with the unwavering support, continue to bring me back to that word.
We will purchase our own race jerseys, this season, to show, and maybe someone, somewhere, will take notice of what I witnessed, on the pool deck. A transformation of individuals into a team. People who now believe in themselves in way they did not before. It is truly awesome.

1 comment: