Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Running with a Bug

This past weekend was the Freehold Running Club's 10 mile race. I have done this ever season for the past three. I like it as it is an early season test of fitness for me. I have been able to fortunately drop a significant amount of time off each season as well. This year it was despite really having much run time in my training (by design).
My schedule has been overloaded with both swim and bike, with generally two runs a week. I have continued to use the Power Cranks as supplement to straight running.
I ran with my friend and training partner Scott, who I train with about 3 times a week in season. Scott is in training for Boston, and was also using this as a tune up to see where he was. I enjoy training and racing with him, as we push each other but do so in a smart manner so as not to over do it.
I arrived at the race timely and ate just as I would before any race. It included a bagel and peanut butter, several hours before the race, and a shake later on.
We ran well in the opening miles, actually a bit faster than anticipated. We were shooting for a comfortable 1:12. Our pace was a bit quick in the first two miles, but then we settled in. Nature called at mile 4 and we both felt much better having done so.
I had taken one gel about 15 minutes prior to the race, and had two for the run. The gel pre race, was one I had left in my car. I'm not sure if the freeze thaw cycle had an adverse affect on it, but it was a bit lumpy. I took about 3/4 of the gel, and chased it with some juice.
Scott and I felt great throughout, we were slowly picking off other runners. At about mile 7 I started feeling a bit uncomfortable. My stomach was jiggling, like to the point where you could hear water swishing in my stomach.
The run became uncomfortable. I was struggling between running faster to get it over, and slowing down to stop the pain. Scott on the other hand looked great. I pushed through to mile 9 and Scott took off. I finished about 20 seconds behind him, and then continued a fight the rest of the day.
I finished with 1:08:40 (I think) so it was a PR. I also learned a bit about my fortitude. I'm not certain if it was the gel, or just something going around, but it stuck with me for 24 hours. I guess the good thing in all of it is I see how absent that there is some room for improvement. Looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice finish Coach K - did you have any food while in G-Town or something recently? I know that effected you way back when.