Friday, April 24, 2009

Race Pace

As we progress into our race season, one part of training that is often overlooked is race pace training. In almost every sport I have every participated, football, basketball and track, there are always parts of the season where we train the way in which which expect (or hope) to participate at our game or event.
The same is true in endurance sports are the same. We cannot expect to run an 8:00/mile at a race, if we have never run one before, and know how it feels. We must always remember though to keep our distance in race pace mode in check. I am prepping for a 1/2 marathon in which I want to run under 1:30, so yesterday, on my tempo run, I pinned my speed at 6:45 pace, and help it for six miles. Slower than what my all out 10K would be, but it is important to prep you body mentally for the job ahead. The idea was not to tax my body, but to run even and controlled.

Remember that as you get into the heart of your training season to incorporate some work at what your goal race pace is for a particular event.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sage advice Cookie.