Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dealing with Disappoitment

So this is a cautionary tale of triathlon and life. Sometimes the two don't merge. It is always important to keep that in perspective and remember why it is we participate. Most aren't fortunate enough to do it for a living, so we do it because we love it.

I have been fortunate to have recently been afforded the opportunity to teach a few extra Spin classes at a local gym, as noted on my calendar. Being new to the group I was happy to pick up a few extra classes, for people who needed a substitute. Despite having a big race which I was peaking for, I still taught, and taught. Needless to say the word cautionary was used, because my performance was not as I hoped.

While I Pr'd at the distance (though the bike was a tad short) I did not race well and left a lot on the course. Cramping on the bike, and into the run. All things that should not have occurred. I had beat myself up slightly, and realized that was not the answer. We all have things that life throws at us. One friend dropped a race as he had a crazy day at work the next day. One buddy, slept an hour, due to a child who was sick. I choose to help out new co-workers, in a new place. So yes, we all face these issues whenever we race. There are times when we can control some more than others.

But even in that horrible race I learned a great deal. I learned how much stronger I had become mentally, to not pack it in. In fact despite my sub par run, I did negative split it. I learned that some days participation in racing is the reward, more so than the actual performance.

so As I woke Monday morning to teach again, muscles cramped, knowing it was not a good idea, I realized it's life

No comments: