Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Helpful hints from Camp

As I said earlier, even while going as a coach to a triathlon camp, I learned so much. Being around so many other athletes and coaches, you are bound to pick up something useful. I want to share with you a tip I gave to an athlete.

The situation was the athlete came to the SAG wagon, covered in white gunk. I asked what had occurred. He explained that during the rain storm, his salt tabs got wet and wound up turning to a gooey slime, which then got all over his shirt.

What I like to do is purchase small plastic zip lock style bags, which you can find at any arts and crafts store, such as Michael's. You can generally purchase these for a few dollars for a hundred or so. what I do is pre-package my supplements for rides and or races. I place the number I need for whatever time period based on the conditions. what is nice, is that during a race you don't need to count, and risk dropping your supplements. You can essentially rip the top off as you would a gel.

I generally then package them into a larger sandwich sized zip lock bag, to keep extra dry and safe. In longer races such as Iron distance, you can then keep these in each transition bag, as well as you special needs, bag to ensure you are not short on the course.

Sharing ideas like these are one of the great benefits to camps. If you are looking for a well run, organized camp in your area check out the TBC website, if there is not yet one in your area let us know, and we will check on the feasibility, and the closes available locations.

No comments: