Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Quality time

Many triathletes hate the idea of a change in season. When the bikes go on the shelf and indoor cycling, is often the only way to ride. Living in the north east while we have distinct changes in season, we also have a problem, not as common to those training in other areas. Traffic.

I had completed an evening ride a few months ago, and realized how little time I spent pedaling. The stop and go, never allowed my heart rate to get and stay at a steady level. Plus the added dangers, of visibility. Whether I was riding first thing in the morning, or after work it was a problem. I also happen to live in a more congested part of the state, so the problem was magnified. If I wanted a good ride, before or after work, I would need to drive to a place where it was safe and I could pedal uninterrupted.

I made a decision to put more time indoors, during the week. Leaving the weekend longer rides, when I have more time for outdoors. while I know there are some down falls, such as handling skills. I can say there has been a great overall improvement in my cycling. Maybe its because 1.5 hours actually means pedaling for 1.5 hours. I have tried to mix things up between the Computrainer, and Spinervals videos, to cure boredom.

Some of you in areas where riding can have these downsides, especially when time is limited, you may want to consider, moving back indoors.

No comments: