Friday, July 25, 2008

Helping hands

Anyone who has ever attempted, and completed an Ironman, knows the effort and preparation that goes into the race. Having completed, I had immediately felt the need to volunteer and give back, because I had realized how important an aspect of the race volunteers are.

For those that have never competed in an Ironman this is also an incredible way to experience a race, and feel a part of something magnificent. My wife and I were assigned to work gear bags in IM USA at Lake Placid. Anyone who has read about the event, knows that the race was plagued by a downpour that lasted the entirety of the race. Nevertheless determined we were to help athletes transitioning from the bike to run.

Many needed a smile, a friendly face, to help them in the adversity they were facing. To some a joke, about dry clothes helped the to reassess where they were. Some just a "good job" and steady hands were all that were needed.

While I am disappointed that the weather kept me from the finish line. We had no desire to get wet again after a shower, the experience was still worth it. Any year I am not competing, in a race, I will make a trek and volunteer, and help make the experience for someone else.

No comments: